Joining the Alberta Regional Council of Carpenters and Allied Workers is a privilege we extend to applicants with pride in their craft, a dedication to solidarity and productivity and on the job site, and strict adherence to safety and our code of conduct.
The easiest way to join is to assist us in organizing a non-union employer. Learn how to help us organize your job site here.
We receive hundred of applications every month, and will only respond to written requests for status updates. Do so by emailing email@example.com. Allow at least 30 days for us to process your application, but it may be longer during particularly busy periods. Trust us, we want every great tradesperson to be a union member. But we also need to be able to provide work for those members, so there will be periods where we are not accepting new applications. We apologize in advance if we cannot approve your application immediately.
We are in the business of representing all tradespeople working in the trades we represent.
When you DO apply: Don’t send us a Resume. Send Proof.
We need to see real proof, not summaries, of your past experience and training. Our goal is to assure ourselves you’re a qualified tradesperson, not a potential employee.
Journeyman certificates and apprenticeship documents show you’ve studied your trade. But we also need to know you have real-life, on-the-tools experience. Records of Employment or pay stubs show us for sure what experience you have and what pay scale you might deserve. So letters of reference and resumes don’t hurt, and they may be valuable for a future employer to see, but to us they’re nothing without pay stubs and records of employment.
- Initiation Fee – $100
- Dues – $25 per month, six months paid forward = $150
- Yearly Social Fee – $10
- Total Cost to Become a Member = $260
- Initiation Fee – $2
- Dues – $25 per month, six months paid forward = $150
- Total Cost to Become a Member = $ 152
Do not send money in advance – we won’t accept it. Sending advance payment does not speed up the process. You pay at the time of Orientation. Once your money is paid, you become a member. The next step is a mandatory 1-day Orientation Session at one of our offices.
Before being admitted to our membership all newcomers must be invited to attend a half-day sign-up orientation.
Guidelines for Admission
- Indentured and journeyman carpenters and scaffolders shall be admitted as members. “Journeyman” scaffolders from a non-United Brotherhood of Carpenters source will be subject to a Test Build under Alberta Carpenters Training Centre supervision. We do not automatically grant an updated level without the individual having undertaken UBC Scaffolding training. We reserve the right to test competency and deny membership due to lack of basic competency.
- We are not currently accepting labourers, material handlers, or individuals with little to no experience – either new members or transfers – except in circumstances of organizing or members’ children (as required by bylaws and trade rules).
- ITT applicants, including children of members, will be accepted on a case-by-case basis, determined by their evaluation, marks, and attitude as marked by the instructor. Failed ITT students will not be admitted. Children of members must still pass ITT to be admitted.
- Individuals currently employed at a targeted non-union contractor will be admitted on recommendation of the organizing department by assisting in union drives.
- Previous members looking for re-admission will be required to explain in writing why they allowed themselves to be suspended, and why they want to re-apply. Ex-members with ROEs showing non-Building Trades union membership in the Alberta jurisdiction will be denied, unless they are currently working for a targeted non-union contractor and will assist in union organizing drives.
- Where continuity is an option, individuals must pay their back dues to the local in which they are in arrears.
- Non UBC-trained scaffolders will be admitted provided they will assist in union organizing drives.
- Helmets to Hardhats referrals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Gate hires will be admitted on the recommendation of the employer and union representative.
- Showing up late for orientation or swearing-in will lead to rejection except under extremely special circumstances.
Industrial Technical Training (ITT) Admission
- Applicants pre-screened through an interview process or children/dependents of members will be invite to undertake Industrial Technical Training (ITT) at the Alberta Carpenters Training Centre.
- A passing grade of 70% must be achieved, as well as recommendation by the instructor. If you do not achieve 70%, you will be asked to upgrade your skills or language comprehension, and to re-apply after one year. A fail in ITT will require you to pay for the course in full for a second attempt.
- Your total participation and complete concentration is required. Ignore your cell phone. Complete the tasks assigned to you safely. Display a good attitude, and be conscious of safety. Repeatedly demonstrating unsafe work practices will result in an automatic fail.
- Successfully completing ITT does not automatically mean an invitation to join the Alberta Carpenters. We are looking for the best. Bring your best self to the course and show us why we should want you as a union member.
Please fill out this initial application for Local 1325 or Local 2103 and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, please fill out the Record of Employment request in order to prove your hours with other workplaces.
Please only choose ONE set of forms – either Local 1325 for a residence north of Ponoka, or Local 2103 for a residence south of Ponoka. Out of province applicants may choose the Local they apply to. British Columbia residents will be advised to join in their home province.
Application for Membership Local 2103 – 2103AppJan17
Application for Membership Local 1325 – 1325 Application JANUARY 2017
Record of Employment Request Local 2103 – ROE Request 2103 Applicant & Ex Member
Record of Employment Request Local 1325 – ROE Request 1325 Transfer-In